Subject: Re: [Leica] R in your 50-ties and above
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 0:00:19 -0400

Victor,

As the eyes age, the crystalline lens becomes less clear.  It is a slow process that decreases contrast, dims the retinal image ever so slightly and causes problems with glare.  Anyone over 45 will admit they can't handle driving into the sun in the afternoon as well as a 20 year old.  Focusing with an SLR may take a little bit longer can be just as effective.  If the crystalline lens becomes cloudy enough, it is called a cataract.  A 15 minute surgical procedure can be done to remove the cataract and replace it with a clear plastic implant.  Distance vision is restored along with improved contrast and brightening of the retinal image.  I think that as many folks age, they simply feel more comfortable with autofocus or a rangefinder focusing system.  There is no physiological reason why someone couldn't continue to use an SLR for a lifetime.

Richard Clompus, OD
Roanoke, Virginia