Subject: RE: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?
From: Gary Elshaw <godard@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:57:45 +1200

I'm trying to write a series of 3 lectures on Documentary at the moment and
you guys keep distracting me!

This thread has got way off-topic now, but I can't resist adding this, in
case there is a student lurking out there wondering if they can actually do
it. Having only just revoked my student status (but still living on a
student budget), I can honestly say, just do it. Really. Don't buy something
to 'fill the gap', unless it's a really, really good deal. It helps if you
have a photographic store who like and trust you, but in my time as a
student I assembled a pretty good kit of stuff that comes from the 30's to
the mid to late 60's.

M3 (a rare one at that)
Leica III
Viewfinders: 35, 50, VIOOH, Sports Finder
Lenses: 35/2.8 Summaron, 50 DR, 35 LTM Summaron, 50 LTM Summar, 90 LTM Elmar
Viso II with some adapters
A huge array of filters, hoods, gadgets and Leica books.

It took me about 4 years, some student loan and a lot of 2-minute noodles,
but if you like what you do, it's well worth it.

My first Leica purchase was a 50mm viewfinder and I used to pull it out and
look at it intermittently while I was paying off my Leica III (which took me
about 6 or 9 months).

The other thing to keep in mind is shop around. The internet provides a
really good hunting ground for used camera equipment. Spend an afternoon
compiling a list of links for camera stores online and compare the prices.

Cheers,
Gary

- --
"I think it's a very cool futuristic looking screensaver and if it helps
bring the fiery wrath of evil space aliens down upon the Earth
sooner then I'm all for it! :-] "

mrtew reviews the SETI@home screensaver for OS X
April 3, 2002

OO