Subject: Re: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?
From: "Matthew Powell" <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:36:40 -0500

> I'd like an Omega for the price of a Seiko.  Getting a 28-year old
> professional into the system at an early age means we'll be buying the
> Speedmaster Mars Watch in 2018....
Rather different area, isn't it? Watches = luxury item (My watch costs $39
per month - cell phone), camera = photography student's future livelihood.
Well, hopefully, at least.

> Leica doesn't need 20-year old students to sell more cameras.
Sure it does. Who made the Leica brand image? Famous photojournalists.
Artists. Not the hobbyists.
Can a company rest on an image it made 30+ years back?

> Leica doesn't want 20-year old students to dilute their high-end image.
It
> is not touted as a camera for the masses.
20-year old photography students are not exactly "the masses." I think there
are maybe two dozen of us in a university of 15,000.

> Buy a Hexar RF if that's your price point.  It's a lot more camera for the
> money.
In a way it is - but what I'm saying is that Leica should consider making it
easier for young photographers and students to get in on the system if it
wants to continue to be the "premier" 35mm manufacturer for a long time.

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Student discount program? A suggestion)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?)
Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Student discount program? A suggestion)