Subject: Re: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:48:26 -0400

I have a completely different take on this whole discussion.  For thirty or
so years we have been in the cult of the SLR.  Sometime in the mid 90's
camera manufacturers  discovered that there was a market for rangefinders.
The enterprising photographer can find a rangefinder in formats from 35mm to
4X5.

Perhaps if the younger photographer was exposed to a rangefinder at a tender
age then the appreciation for the right tool for the applicable job could be
cultivated.

Why do I care?  For the images. The current usage is a relatively slow
zoom(yes 2.8 is slow compared to even a 1.4) with fill flash.  The newer
photographers are not being taught to see light.  The first step to bringing
back the light is to take away the flash.  Without the flash then you start
to see your subject and have to work to make the most of the situation.
Flash is a valuable tool, it is better if you know how to get along without
it.

So, unlike some, bring on all the rangefinders from any and all
manufacturers.

back to pfennigs

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com