Subject: Re: [Leica] full time photogs
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:49:52 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> What are you trying to prove? I must have missed the
> initial post...
1.  That very few on the LUG are professional
photographers.

2.  That most working photographers must use less expensive
equipment because they are not paid well enough to amortize
anything as expensive as Leica.  This is meant for those
whose employer does not furnish their gear.

    While in Viet Nam I carried cameras that I could afford
to lose to dirt, humidity, damage or theft.  My military
pay was only $225.00 a month at its highest level. (1969)
That was about the price of an M4 body or a Nikon FTn with
50mm f/1.4.

   Larry Burrows told me his Leicas were sent to Hong Kong
for a complete stripdown and cleaning on a MONTHLY basis.
He was carrying five Leicas and two Nikons on the day I met
him.  I am also sure that because of his fame and
 "connections" he received his equipment for much lower
prices than you or I would have been offered.

    One friend was carrying a FTn and 50~300 zoom when they
drove into an ambush.  He dove into a ditch full of water,
mud, algae and probably shit RATHER THAN GET SHOT.  I will
leave the shape of the camera and lens to your imagination.