Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 14 -- Nathan goes to the dogs with his useless Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:23:52 +0200

Hi Karina,

Thanks for the compliment. You are right, there are a lot of dogs in Paris,
and even more in Brussels (where I lived 95-00). In both cities it is also
quite common to step into a dogshit on the sidewalk, again particularly in
Brussels. In Paris the city council instituted a campaign against it last
year, providing dog toilets in parks and also fines for violators; in Brussels
there may also be similar rules, but they are widely ignored. Newly arrived
Brits and Americans are always amazed or disgusted (depending on whether they
like dogs) about the fact that dogs are commonly allowed inside supermarkets,
restaurants etc. Here in Switzerland there are also a lot of dogs but as with
everything else, the rules are strict and are obeyed, i.e. the dog on the
leash in public parks, you have to pick up the crap and so on. If you let your
dog shit somewhere and do not pick it up, you can be sure that some passer-by
will remind you!

In your other mail you asked if I was the one going to Israel this summer.
Indeed it is me, one of my cousins in Tel Aviv is getting married, and they
are organising a big wedding celebration in late June. I would like to go but
obviously the current security situation with almost daily terrorist attacks
gives me pause.

Nathan

kiklaas@iinet.net.au wrote:

> I liked all 3, Nathan.
>
> I was amazed at how many dogs there were in Paris - in peoples backpacks,
> on shopfront doorsteps, on hotel receptionist desks, it was heaven.
>
> Karina

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland