Subject: [Leica] Leica TTL accuracy.
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:19:21 -0800 (PST)

About a month ago, I added a Metz 54 MZ-3 to the M6
with different modules for the M6 and R6.2 TTL.
The initial results were disappointing. I tested it
with close to 18% neutral background and in all
situations with both TTL and the automatic all my
pictures came out underexposed. I made addtional tests
with the flash, but metering it with the flash mode of
the Sekonic L-3088 and sure enough the Metz screen
shown with the distance to F-stop is one-stop under
compared to the Sekonic meter reading. However, using
FULL flash with no TTL or auto mode, the flash output
in combination with the zoom capability shows exactly
177 GN against the meter with the appropriate
flash-to-subject distance.

I'm at a lost in trying to determine the source of
this problem. My understanding is the flash output is
determined by the camera in TTL mode, so logically the
under-exposure problem should lie with my camera.
However, in auto-mode, the control is in the flash and
yet the pictures are also under-exposed, so logically
the problem should be with the flash. And yet testing
the flash in FULL manual, the Sekonic reads the output
as "right on". By the way, the under-exposure is
consistent with both my M6-TTL and the R6.2 with Metz
modules SCA 3502 and SCA 351 respectively.

I ran out of ideas in trying to trouble-shoot this
problem. I could use the Metz 54 MZ-3 with the +1
compensation to overcome this, but that's a big price
to pay.