Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW Michael Gerard
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 07:21:25 +0200

Michael,

There are a couple of things wrong with the page:

1) Most of the pictures are very unsharp. I have to assume that this
happened at some point during the scanning process, but you should correct
that--as things stand, you are not presenting your work in a particularly
flattering light. I am not talking about the need to buy expensive equipment
here; even scanning machine prints with a cheap flatbed scanner you should
be able to get reasonably sharp images.

2) When you resize the images for the thumbnails, you have to make sure that
their dimensions are 190x126 pixels (I am talking about the filenames
beginning with "sm" in Kyle's template). Otherwise, the template will still
squeeze the picture into the window but it will look stretched or squished,
as in weeks 9, 11, 12 and 13. If necessary, crop the picture so that it fits
into those dimensions when you adjust the image size.

I assume that you are aware that you should not manipulate the JPEG image.
I.e. your workflow should be something like this:

- - scan your image
- - do whatever corrections are needed in Photoshop or other similar software
- - save the file as a Photoshop or TIFF file
- - then, size the image to, say, 750x500 pixels and save a JPG file
- - to create the thumbnail, pull up the original Photoshop image and size it
to 190x126 pixels

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask on or off list.

Kind regards,
Nathan