Subject: Re: [Leica] 2002 PAW wk 13 -- John Brownlow
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:59:45 -0500

On 4/4/02 wharting@adelphia.net wrote:

>Thought I recognized your shadow at the extreme left. Looks lie your shadow,
>anyway. Could have been Ray Winstone.

my shadow is probably falling on the woman and the man to her right who
are both playing trumpets... can't be sure though. I was actually quite
low for this pic, probably crouching, so it might be an odd shadow...

>But as i was looking at the incredible picture, with the one little black
>smudge, I began to wonder if you were putting traps in there for careless
>observers... I think I remember Meyerowitz in some of his Cape Light
>panoramas, having the same person in several different poses.

Well, you spotted the glitch. I only noticed it as I was putting the jpeg
up on the page. It's easy to correct but I didn't have time to go back
into the layered file, re-edit, flatten, recompose and color correct...
as to the other kind of trap, yes, I think it's only fair to put in
little clues now and then. Things that you have to think about, like the
fact that in last week's picture people were crossing against the light.
I don't think this picture has any logic traps... partly because there
was really only one way of putting it together. I think there may be a
way to put one of the carts in twice without being too obvious.
Alternatively I think I might put one of the kids on the grass bank twice
or something. However you don't want to do it in *every* image or it just
becomes Where's Wally?

Sometimes the logic trap is just a conundrum... like one image I have of
a crowd of people all facing in the same direction...except the
projection makes it look like the people in the center are facing forward
and those at the edges facing backwards.

What makes this picture possible is the fact that the band were standing
in a rough semicircle, something that's not at all obvious from the image.

>What is the elapsed time of the picture (to take the images, not the nine
>hours to knit them together)?

Less than two minutes for this one. The band were actually just tuning
up, running through fourths and fifths, and after a couple of minutes
they disbanded, so to speak.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com