Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:21:50 -0800 (PST)

- --- Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Focusing very fast long lenses is a problem
> if you have high res optics and want to make
> large prints. With a long enough base and
> magnification you could focus them more accurately
> than you could with the eye through a viewfinder.
> This is right up Leitz' alley if the should choose
> to develop it.
    They did.  About a hundred years ago.  They were called
artillery rangefinders.  Look at some pictures from WW I.
    I don't really know why you would want to carry
something like that around though....

> As for the M system being near useless,
> if you call being limited to focal lengths from 15 to
> 135 and no CV zooming useful, stick with it.  As for
> me, I like to take long shots on occasion without
> having to bring along a second system.;-))Finally, ask
> yourself why about 90% of the people on this list have
> another system, usually reflex and it's usually their
> primary system.
> Later
> Javier

    The point is that different camera (systems) have
different primary uses.  The key here is primary.
    Rangefinder cameras are great for speed and accuracy of
focus with short lenses.  The M series is superb for dim
lighting conditions.  Until the advent of infrared assisted
autofocus, nothing beat them.  And sometimes they are still
best.
    So just as you would not use a hammer when you need a
pair of pliers,  you would not use an M for things it was
not made to do.
    Yes.  I have both rangefinders and reflexes.  Enjoy
using both.  And I have a Rollei 35.  I enjoy it too, even
without a rangefinder.