Subject: Re: [Leica] Telyt 400/5.6
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:14:14 EST

leicam4pro@yahoo.com writes:

>     My memory tells me that you are refering to the two
>  F/6.8 s.
>
>      As I remember a famous photographer was given one of
>  the prototypes to shoot the 1968 US conventions.  He did
>  good work at both covering the convention and creating a
>  backordered demand for the lenses that did not yet exist.
>  I think the first deliveries of the production lens were in
>  1970, shortly after I returned from 'Nam.

I think you are correct on all counts, PP. I may have inadvertently started
this thread by referring to an older Leitz telephoto lens, the 400mm f/5
Telyt for Visoflex. The question then posed was whether this lens could be
used on the trombone focussing tube of the 400/6,8 (it cannot). Somehow, that
elided into this.

I believe it was David Douglas Duncan who used the 400/6,8 prototype at the
U.S. national conventions in 1968. It is an excellent lens - our buddy
Birdman Doug is alleged to have used it - so long as one bears in mind the
field curvature.

Seth      LaK 9