Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 13 - a trip to London, and not a shot of Big Ben...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:47:17 -0800

Nathan Wajsman wrote & showed:
>>> I have been going to London a lot this year on business, so last week I
> decided to take my family and my Leicas there for a brief 3-day holiday.
> The weather was great and the city was wonderful as always. I have seven
> pictures this week, partly because I am a lousy editor and partly
> because I really want to present the aspects of London that I enjoy.

> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt1.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt2.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt3.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt4.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt5.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt6.jpg

Well done Nathan,
Nothing like a quick two shilling tour of London . ;-)

Editing: >>partly because I am a lousy editor <<<<<

Editing our work is the most difficult, because we our emotions and physical
involvement often cloud our choice of picture, rather than KISS....."look at
it photographically - is this one of my 10 best ever pictures? If not, out!"

Add in a touch of, "any doubt it's out!"  And the editing becomes
methodical, cold and often damn right misery! ;-) We can create more reasons
for the picture being used than there are in a box of corn flakes, flakes.

There are the, "oh but gee whiz they wont notice... I love it, I know
there's a little tilt, I broke my ankle getting this, it's in!"  :-) And the
"to leave it in" reasons go on forever. But in reality, we must always edit
by cold hearted ruthless "if in doubt out!"  Otherwise we place our ability
as a photographer in jeopardy by showing a less than super shot each time we
use a photograph.

Realizing you wished a tour series, I'd have said right off this is what it
is with captions Then we'd have looked at it as a photo essay using frame 6
as the lead photo and building the others around it as a magazine layout.

Pats and whacks! ;-)
1/ The arm at first was a distraction, however on second look, it adds to
the crowded effect adding to the depth effect. Slight whack.

2/ I like this better because it's open and allows the viewer to see into
the car and more of the readers and riders and variations of people.  slight
pat.

3/ A moment's wait, and catch the clerk looking eye ball to eye ball with
the customer then you'd have captured a communication factor with eyes open.
Nit picking. However, that's what makes it work better. Even a slight move
to your left going over the head of the boy allowing a slight move of the
clerk off centre possibly seeing his hands when handing over tickets or
money. Open another "communication action moment."

If you look at this photo as, "Light - Eyes - Action"  Then you understand
what I mean and how those little things make a difference. slight whack.

4/ Scalper:  It works because it all balances right across the frame. Pat!
;-)

5/ book store. It works and I'd not do much differently. It's great shooting
people when their minds are in action and involved doing something making
them completely unaware of the rest of the world. Pat. ;-)

6/ Sorry this doesn't do anything, as it looks like a quick over the balcony
shot. However! A bonus point if you shot because the singer turned her head
and you reacted to that action! If you didn't, and it just happened to be
that angle when you shot. Then a whack for that not being the reason of the
exposure. If you come back and tell me the turn of her head was the
triggering factor, then it's a Pat on the back, but just a small one.

7/ This is a big pat. Good angle and light use to enhance the body lines.

Thanks for the tour. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant