Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 13 - a trip to London, and not a shot of Big Ben...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 23:37:30 +0200

I have been going to London a lot this year on business, so last week I
decided to take my family and my Leicas there for a brief 3-day holiday.
The weather was great and the city was wonderful as always. I have seven
pictures this week, partly because I am a lousy editor and partly
because I really want to present the aspects of London that I enjoy.

To get up close and personal to the locals, take the Underground (Tube)
at 5 p.m. I have used the metro in many big cities, including New York,
Paris, Moscow and others, but nowhere seems to get as crowded as in
London:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13.jpg
(M6, 24mm Elmarit, Delta 3200)

Another shot of the Tube. I like this one because one sees how everyone
is trying to stay in their personal space with their newspapers, except
my 7-year old daughter who is merrily fooling around in the background:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt1.jpg
(M6, 24mm Elmarit, Delta 3200)

A major attraction in London are the theatres, and I naively thought
that we would be able to go and see the musical Lion King. But even the
guy in the ticket booth at Covent Garden, who was charging £50 a ticket
(about double the official price) was unable to help:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt2.jpg
(M6, 35mm Summilux, Delta 100)

Apparently one can also buy tickets to popular shows from scalpers in
front of the theatre, but we did not try that route:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt3.jpg
(M6, 50mm Summilux, Delta 3200)

One of my all-favourite places in London is the huge bookstore Foyles
near the Tottenham Court Road station. It is the size of a Swiss
department store, and one can spend a whole day in there. Also, a very
refreshing change for a visitor from Switzerland who is used to crummy
opening hours, Foyles (and the other bookstores in the area) is open
until 11 p.m.:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt4.jpg
(M6, 35mm Summilux, Delta 3200)

Finally, a couple of shots from Covent Garden. There is a place inside
the Covent Garden Market where opera singers entertain the visitors. I
do not know exactly who they are, but judging by the quality of their
voices, these are not dilletantes but serious artists who for whatever
reason have not made it into the proper opera. They certainly sing well.

First, an overall view of the scene:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt5.jpg
(M6, 24mm Elmarit, Ilford Delta 100)

and a close-up of one of the singers:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_13alt6.jpg
(M6, 90mm Apo Summicron, Ilford Delta 3200)

I should note that the choice of main vs. alternates was particularly
difficult this week. I actually like alt6 the best, but chose to start
off with the Tube pictures since these are more typical London shots.

The main PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments/critique are welcomed and appreciated as always.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland