Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW# 13 (Paul)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:19:14 -0800

Paul wrote & showed:
> >Thanks for the constructive critique on PAW #12
> I am starting to get a great Databank with tips, Thanks
>Due to a large work load in the coming week I offer you 13  a day early.
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/city-street/folder-2677.html
> Critique warmly accepted.

Hi Paul,
The eye is just overwhelmed with way too much happening all over the place
without any firm point of interest. It almost looks like a mass of jigsaw
bits waiting to be assembled into a cohesive photograph.

It might've been better as a vertical, woman out and birds filling a
stronger part of the foreground eliminating some of the cutter.

Although I like using strong shadow foregrounds where they make a solid
foreground element of the picture, it requires building the angle around
those shadows to make it work.

A few correctional items:

A/  get you out of the picture...... your shadow. When you're shooting with
the light in this manner, at your back, it's a must to watch for your shadow
and keep it out. Unless....... you can make use of it as some element of the
photo.

B/ the woman out of the frame. I would almost think you didn't see her at
the moment of shutter release. However, when picking this shot you could
hardly miss her adding to the confusion, better luck next time.

C/ going vertical and making shadows stronger, cleaner, filling the
foreground and leading into the background. Use of a wider angle lens and
lower perspective.

Would any of this have helped? Maybe.

But it needs a different angle, aperture, wider angle lens, lower to the
ground. I don't see it as an easy correction using this frame and working it
over.

We all get conned by strong shadows at onetime or another. And quite often
they so capture our eye and concentration, that unless we take our time and
work around them to make a good picture, there's usually one there with
patience, the end result is as we see here "confusion and no point if
interest."

I trust this helps for future use.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited