Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photoshop educational discount (was B/W digital printing options)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:02:48 -0500

Further responses to the complaints about Photoshop's cost:

No one has to pay inflated prices for software. Instead, they can climb into
their $22,000 cars - that ought to cost about $8,500 - and drive home to
their $350,000 houses that ought to cost $90,000, where they will go through
the $220 week's worth of groceries - that ought to have cost about $50 - and
then relax after dinner cursing Adobe while they clean the finger prints off
their $5000 to $10,000 worth of Leica equipment - a modest investment if one
had a couple of modern M or R bodies and a small assortment of lenses -
which they use to take photos of their kids, flowers, and the places they
visit on vacation - all of which could easily be photographed just as well
with a high quality point-and-shoot.

Next, isn't there something positively oxymoronic about people who would
even, in their wildest dreams, consider $7,000 35-70 2.8 zooms, or dumping
their M6 TTLs to run out and spend more money to get M7s at $2395,
complaining about a $600 software program - particularly when that program
can replace a $2,000 enlarger.

Further, there are much less expensive ways to buy the most essential parts
of Photoshop: There is Photoshop elements; and, if you get a stripped down
version of Photoshop when you buy a computer you can upgrade to the full
version for a very reasonable price.

Third, there are good alternatives to PhotoShop = one of which is Corel
Photo-Paint, the full version of which costs under $200. For the first year
I was doing digital printing I used the Corel program and it had everything
I needed. It is so close to Photoshop that one has to wonder how Corel gets
away with it...;-)

So rather than beat up on Adobe for charging a high price for a
state-of-the-art product, why don't we go back to beating up on lawyers
charging $300-500 per hour for drafting fill-in-the-blank documents. ;-)
(JUST KIDDING...NO MORE LAWYER TRASHING!...:-) )

B. D.