Subject: [Leica] Re: Photoshop educational discount (was B/W digital printing options)
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:28:35 -0500

I'm not sure what your point is. Photoshop is fairly priced?

The problem with greed is that when people think they might get a piece
of the action, it no longer remains greed, but becomes "normal business
practices" and quite acceptable. Greed is rampant in the software
industry, but it's overlooked in large part. Programmers want to get
paid salaries that only greedy corporations can muster. Paying $600 for
Photoshop makes the little guy feel important. I know people who use it
for nothing more than auto-levels who couldn't wait to upgrade to
version 7.0. There is a strangeness about people buying programs that
they will only use one tenth of. You're right, there is a lower cost
option, but Adobe didn't produce it to be nice. Photoshop Elements is a
stab at the folks who would not, or could not, buy Photoshop 7.0. The
hope is that the Element buyers will "grow up" and realize that they
just can't live without the full version. And people will. Who can live
with only ten features you don't know how to use--go with 7.0 and you'll
have a hundred features you don't know how to use. Of course, Photoshop
is not to blame about unused features. After all, it did all it could to
make the program intuitive, right?

Allan