Subject: Re: [Leica] the fling is over/my search has ended
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:56:21 EST

In a message dated 3/30/02 10:18:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jkoplen@mindspring.com writes:

> What devices are needed to make that lens fit and work on a
>  Leicaflex SL (or R8)?  If one appears for sale, are there additional
factors
>  to consider before purchasing for use on the SL?

Julian:

There is a Visoflex to Leicaflex adapter, catalog item #14,167 that permits
use of the 280/4,8 Telyt on Leicaflex SL. It should function on an R8 but
bear in mind that there is no auto diaphragm so the lens may be perceptibly
slower in use than an automatic diaphragm lens. It takes some getting used to
unless you use the lens wide open.

There were three versions of this lens and you should look for the last one.
I believe that optically, they were identical except that the later lenses
may have had improved coating. The first series were in a short mount that
required a second adapter. That and the possible improved coating is why IMHO
you should unquestionably look for a specimen in the last series.

It would probably be best if you could borrow a lens por buy one on approval
so that you can try it and see if you are comfortable with the different and
rather leisurely function. If you are, as Doug wrote, it is truly a wonderful
lens.

Seth       LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] the fling is over/my search has ended)