Subject: [Leica] WAS: Camera bags,and Lawyers NOW: USING YUR BRAINS & DRESS !
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:50:20 -0800

Slobodan wrote:
>> I never have anything of military origin while I'm shooting. <<<

Wise words me old son!!!!!!!!!!!!! One should never have the slightest hint
of being on one side or the other. Best to be as neutral looking as
possible.

Although at times "rubber bullets will be fired at your direction," just
helps the shooters, (not photographers in this case) cut down on pictures
being taken if you're in the line of fire.

I mean they hurt and get one in the wrong place and you might even be El
morto! :-(

Always look innocent in action, hard to do when jamming a 21mm in some guys
face for a look of complete anguish or anger when he's just been whomped by
a couple of rubber slugs! :-(

And one very important thing...........don't get into any pissing match with
the cops....... you'll loose bigtime, as there's always more of them than
you and fellow photogs.

Yep you might have all the constitutional laws and rights on your side,
however in a scrambling match like this the boys in blue don't mess around
and if you start telling them about your freedom of the press and rights to
take pictures etc.the chances are ............ you will become part of the
story instead of the recorder of the story.

Then you loose two ways......... the editor is ticked off because you were
jamming it at the cops while your competition were taking your picture being
hauled off or worse, cops pop you in the back of the paddy wagon where,
trust me;   you just ain't going to get one picture for the next day's paper
or late night wire service.

And your competition will have a paper full of great pictures because you
demanded your rights etc.

In these kinds of situations never buck the cops! ........ Yep, I know some
hard nose guys here will get their shorts in a knot about that comment, but
the chances are they've never ever faced down pissed off cops having to deal
with a bunch of "worldly demonstrators" who don't even know what day it is
most of the time, let alone what the hell they're demonstrating for or
against.

It's far better to use your brains and lenses and do an end run around the
situation and shoot with long glass back into the maelstrom of activity and
head banging. I mean extenders and long glass aren't just for sports.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Camera bags, was A Land Without Lawyers)