Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica photos
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:53:48 -0800 (PST)

- --- Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> wrote:
> I posted this URL a week or so ago, but I only got one
> response, itself
> Anyway, I'm posting the URL again in case anyone wants to
> discuss
> photography - I could use some critique, comments, or
> just general LUG
> luvin'.

    I am not equipped with much in the way of computer
hardware.

    The monitors I have access to are not high quality.

    Since I do not feel the images I see truly represent
the
quality of the originals, I am reluctant to comment.

    I am sure I am not alone.

    I was once told that photography is a craft.  Most
people who really desire can become technically competant.
    But composition is an art.  There are some basic things
that can be learned.  But there also has to be some
creative genius.  I will not discourage anyone on this list
by trying to nitpick their work.

    Most of what I have seen is boring.  You flowers are an
exception.  They make me long for spring.  I cannot
criticise the use of light and color without seeing the
originals.  I will suggest that you try some variations in
composition and lighting.  Put the main subject to one side
of the frame.  Put the main subject in a lower corner with
a secondary subject slightly off center in such a way that
the eye is lead to it as you sweep across the frame.
    When you have main and secondary subjects, the shallow
depth of field ( that "bokeh" bs ) is not always an
advantage.  The main subject should dominate, but the
secondary subject(s) should add interest and / or balance.
    How do you think they would look with a sidelight as
well as backlight?  Or sidelight only?
    Hve you considered taking along some collapsible
reflectors so you can direct natural light?
    What do you think?