Subject: Re: [Leica] cri de coeur
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:22:03 +1100

>One of my colleagues recently underwent a mastectomy and will
>commence intensive chemotherapy on Monday.  A few days ago she asked
>me whether I would be willing to come to her house  on Thursday to
>photograph her while she still resembles "the person I imagine
>myself to be."    Of course I agreed to do so, but I confess that I
>am anxious about this beyond speech.  I am an *amateur*
>photographer, nothing more, nothing less, and much as I'd like to
>think otherwise, I know that nothing has ever really been at stake
>in the images that I make.
>
>This is different--something is at stake, I think, and I want
>desperately not to blow it.
>
>I've thought a lot about what I want to do, and I shall let her tell
>me what she wants, but I will very much appreciate any insight,
>advice, or experience that any of you who might have attempted such
>a thing might wish to share with me. Off list is fine.
>
>Many thanks in advance.

If you know her well, you should not have a problem with creating a
relaxed atmosphere. Despite the temptation and requirements for some
"colour", I would put a vote in for at least one roll  of b/w
portraits. Also, get her to go about her routine, do things, and
record the events. If possible, record her with those who are closest
to her.

good luck
- --
Alastair Firkin