Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?
From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:02:20 -0800

This thread seems to be cast in a"thou shall" and "thou shall not" sort
of dialog where each side has a rather interesting perspective of the
role of the photographer and his/her handling of a photo.

Setting aside for a moment the "truth" necessary in some forms of
photography, it's simply a matter of doing what one wants with a photo
in order to present it in such a way that it conveys the mood, message,
idea, or whatever, that the photographer is striving for.  If those that
view it see it as the photographer intended, then it is a success.  If
not, then it's back to the darkroom, digital or otherwise.

Manipulation of images is nothing new, and nothing to be ashamed of.  It
is, according to a recent article (Mirror Images) in the February 2002
issue of Smithsonian, something that may have been done by some of the
greatest master painters - Leonardo, Van Dyck, perhaps even Rembrandt,
to name a few.

Many excellent points of view have been presented on the LUG concerning
this subject.  More will follow.  But, in the end, I believe everyone
will go on doing what he/she finds necessary to present his/her photos
in the best way possible.  And what's so bad about that?  It's just
human nature.

Ted in Olalla