Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop playing
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:00:06 -0500

 I'm still not happy with the options for BW
> printing. Nothing matches a good chemical BW yet, IMO.
>
> Including Piezography.
>
> WIll von Dauster

and Marc Rabiner replied:

I agree.
My new portfolio is consisting of darkroom prints primarily.
- ----

And I have to politely disagree. My portfolio consists of nothing but
quadtone digital b&w prints, and not only have I not had a client ask,
'what's with the prints?' I have had clients say 'You're kidding!' when told
the prints are digital.

While there is no question that silver prints - particularly fiber - and
good quadtone prints have a slightly different look, they are slight, very
slightly, different looks - not better or worse looks. And the average
person - editors, art directors, etc. - not only don't object to the digital
prints, they can't see the difference.

Can a traditional master printer tell the difference? I'm sure she or he
can. But so what.

And, as I believe even Mark said, put a good digital print under glass, step
back to proper viewing distance, and you're talking about a distinction
without a difference - or something like that. ;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Photoshop playing)