Subject: Re: [Leica] B/W digital printing options
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:57:01 EST

For what it is worth, I got rid of my darkroom a couple of years ago and now do all my work in a 'digtal darkroom' environment. I currently use an Epson 1270 printer and I print my b&w exhibition prints up to 16" x 12" image area on this with no problem. It took me a little while to master the technique but then it took me a long time to master conventional printing. I am now very happy with my results. I have only ever used Epsons own inks for this and for my colour work. My prints have been displayed at the Royal Photographic Society's International Open exhibition and also at galleries in the US and Europe. The prints sell successfully with no problem for around the $250 - $300 mark.

I have been very happy with the Epson printer but I am now looking at the new Canon (?BC9000) which is an A3+ printer which will do 16" x 12". I have seen a print a friend did and it was staggeringly good in b&w, but it was from a 5" x 4" negative.

My only concession to digital photography is that I now shoot b&w exclusively on Kodak Tmax400CN as I can get that processed anywhere and it scans beautifully.

Gerry
www.gwpics.com