Subject: Re: [Leica] Was - Photoshop playing -Now-Digital Darkroom
From: "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:02:03 -0500

I have a question related to the digital vs. wet darkroom. How close can a
digital B&W print get to a wet darkroom print?

Let me put this in some sort of context. I am finishing up a 1-week course
in BW darkroom/photo I and am signed up for the next course BW II where I
get to use more than one film (Tri-X) and we will get into toning prints,
etc. So, I like what I see when I print my Tri-X negs developed in D-76 1:1
and printed on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Cooltone glossy paper. I have played
around with scanning color slides and negatives with my CanoScan 2710 and
printing them out on my Epson 1280 on Kodak paper using Photoshop LE or
another freebie sw package whose name escapes me at the moment.

So, how close can I get to the wet darkroom look using Photoshop and what
printer/scanner combo would make this work?

I am trying to decide whether to build a small home darkroom or breakdown
and learn photoshop.

Thanks.

Doug

Douglas Richard Lee