Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:30:42 -0500

Lets put this in perspective.  Ten metric tons is about what your normal
dump truck is carrying around in its bed.  For the sake of argument lets
assume that the kinds of glass that Leitz would be making are the extremely
dense high refractive or anomalous dispersion glass.  Let further assume
that this is twice as dense as sand that a dump truck might be carrying.
That would imply an approximate volume half a bed load.

Gals and guys, this isn't a lot of volume.  And if it is a lab, not all or
even most of the melts will go well, many will be defective in clarity,
dispersion, bubbles, physical properties, etc.  As an example, a reason
given to me for the location of ÉLCAN in a relatively remote region was the
very high refractive glass needed years to cool so as to retain critical
physical properties.  As a story this has some play with me as the use of ED
glass has increased dramatically in recent years as if the designers knew
what they needed but had to wait to use it.

For volume of production, in recent years I think 85000 units was a high
point with most years being closer to 35000 units.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com