Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop playing
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:11:33 -0800

><Snip>
>
> Then Mark ?
> Is that in the to-do-list or not-to-do ?
> Simulate sounds horrible, and results would be that horrible.
>
> I think that is the point where one would rather become a real painter using
> real oils, pastels, brushes ... one would become a sort of digital artsy
> artist. At last what illustrators do.
> Bah... if someone likes it go ahead. What I can't get is why some one have
> to simulate something if other would do it authentically.
>
> regards
>
> --
> Pablo Kolodny
> www.pablokolodny.com

The to periodically do list.
The to quilty pleasure do list
But i do think we should all have to not do lists i just had that
thought a few days ago.

And we all should have a FAQ.

I ran into a top older photographer downtown yesterday when i was
shooting a film test.
He admitted to not just playing with Photoshop. But PLAYING with Photoshop.
As in just going off the deep end on it at times.
I told him I'd show him digressions if he showed me his.
YES i am guilty of doing brash frolics in Photoshop.
Some are even on my website but others not: as in put the elephants head
on the womens body genre; you name it!

Why not? Lifes too short to be a purest every day.
Let you hair down guys! It's the spring solstice! Thursday is the full moon!

Here's a brazen crossover duotone
http://www.markrabiner.com/ImagePages/BrazenBean.html
but i go way for from there:
i have textures I've used.
What the hell!

But it is true the most fun i've had with photoshop have been secret
fixes. I've cloned things and fixed them.

The range of tools in Photoshop are enormous.
That does not mean you use quantities of them on the average prints.
But it does not mean then you NEVER use them.

I disagree with the practice of removing the majority of filters
permanently from the folder.
Temporarily maybe.

Mine works very will with The full spectrum of plug ins and filters in
there now and then some.

I used to have all kinds of sub sets for different types of jobs. From
apposing areas of my brain.
No more. My G4 with 500mgs of memory works great with Photoshop I've got
lots of clear space on my hard disk for virtual memory.

Lets not forget the rules are very important. But most made to be broken.
With Finesse.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com