Subject: [Leica] photographing X rays.....
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@andinanet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:55:00 -0500

There are several problems with photographing x rays...

First, the far and out best way to photograph them is to make a lightbox
with a whole bunch of bulbs and dimmer switches so you can in effect change
the level of illumination between the dark and clear areas... and tame
contrast.

The second best way and the way I do it, is with a soft box and a piece of
plexi glass to keep things flat and evenly illuminated....   I use a spot
meter for flash and take readings from the lightest spot and the darkest...
and then bracket.....  I use black pieces of mat board around the edges so
it looks professional and you don't have glaring white borders.  It also
gives a very nice neutral color.

The worst way is to photograph them on the viewer as they often have hot
spots along the tubes that docs don't notice until they see the slides you
shot..... etc....

I've not worked with Scala... so I don't how it handles contrast.....

Some xrays are worse than others....  CT and MRI scans are the worst as they
always seem to be as dense as all get out....  Either way.... figure out
what tones the doc wants and then bracket !!!!

IMHO Digital is the way to go..... but you have to set the contrast on the
camera at the lowest setting.....  and then you still have to work to get
the detail out of the dark areas.

BTW  I photographed some xrays and CT scans of  TB case this morning.

Duane

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador