Subject: [Leica] Leica's new models
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:30:55 -0800

I'm still recovering from jet lag and a cold following an assignment in
Namibia and have been away from the list for a while.  One of my M6s packed
up at the end of the trip (meter and slow speeds), so after I got home and
sent it off to Sherry, I decided to pick up a spare body at Glazers in
Seattle.

They had an M7 waiting for me, and I was anxious to have a look at the new
VF display.  I'm just now running some film through it, but so far I really
like the way it handles.  My only concern about it is that the ASA/DX
control dial doesn't lock, and I wonder how likely it will be to get
inadvertedly knocked onto an incorrect setting.

The new VF multicoating helps with flare quite a bit, and the display is
bright, clear and easy to read.  Like the M6, operating this camera is
simple and obvious.  And unlike some other new M6s I've seen lately, the RF
alignment is dead on.

The shutter seems quieter than the mechanical one.  Of course, the slow
speeds lack the sound of the gears whirring, but even the fast speeds seem
quieter somehow.

Nice effort by Leica as far as I'm concerned.  I love the idea of an
aperture priority M camera!  Time will tell as to whether or not it is as
solid as the M6.  Of course, the M6 that packed up on me this last time was
only 5 years old.  It has been used alot, spent considerable time in
extremes of temperature, suffered alot of vibration, and dust, but I was a
little surprised that it failed so young.  Anyway, I'm sure Sherry will have
it up and running again soon.

On another note, I came home to notice that Leica had also introduced what
they are calling a "digital reportage camera".  Looks to me to be the same
as the forthcoming Panasonic DMC-LC5S, which also sports the same Leica
Vario Summicron.

Why would anyone buy the Leica, which will undoubtedly cost significantly
more than the Panasonic?  It's the same camera as far as I can see.  Here's
the URL:
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelId=13
423&show_all=false&product_exists=True&active=1&ModelNo=DMC-LC5S&CategoryId=

- --Jim Laurel

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (RE: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...])