Subject: RE: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...]
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:20:46 -0500

Of course they are. ;-)

Heck, I think that those of us who make up the miniscule percentage of folks
who actually think about photography, buy photo books - other than coffee
table books of "New England Sunsets," or "Trees of California," tend to
forget that the average vaguely educated person may or may not know the
names of any photographers other than, say, Annie Leibovitz and Ansel Adams.
And they only know those two because ALs work appears in Rolling Stone and
in other slick mags which promote the fact that they are carrying her work,
and AA may be known because of his posters.

Face it, while virtually everyone over the age of three owns or has access
to a camera, most people know zilch about photographers or photography.

And, the issue/question isn't whether the average person thinks that HCB
took ONLY those iconic images, but rather, whether they think that he
produced those iconic images by producing only a frame or two of film. Of
course we will never agree on this, but I believe that most people who are
vaguely aware of HCB and his association with the "Decisive Moment" indeed
believe that he saw it! Snapped it! and moved on. Interesting, isn't it,
that he didn't coin the phrase "The Decisive MomentS," or "The Decisive Five
Minutes," or the "Decisive Image." It's "THE decisive MOMENT." And it is a
bit of a crock.

What HCB had was a fabulous eye for what was in and not in his frame, and an
uncanny ability to size up a situation, and see that it would/could be made
to produce a stunning photo. And having that is more than enough to make him
one of the greats.

B. D.

B. D.