Subject: RE: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...]
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:27:42 -0500

B.D., where did you hear such a ridiculous story as to HCB's methodology?
Sipping on lattes until the decisive moment slaps him in the face, indeed!
LOL!  Did you or anyone else ever really believe such a thing?  Honestly,
that is a new one to me.  Everything I have ever heard has him dancing
around firing off shots like a wild man when he sees something that strikes
his eye, just like Winogrand, Friedlander, and everyone else trying to do
quality street photography.

Two comments:

1.  Don't believe every urban legend you hear.

2.  In a way, I wish HCB had never coined the phrase "decisive moment".  It
really doesn't mean anything at all other than you took a good well timed
photo with intrinsic artistic value.  This has absolutely nothing to do with
the actual number of frames that were exposed, and I don't believe HCB ever
said otherwise.  The phrase has become bastardized to mean many things I
seriously doubt HCB ever intended it to mean.  Everything to everybody has
come to be a decisive moment.  It has become too easy, and is therefor
meaningless.

Cheers,
BK

Replies: Reply from Jeffery Smith <jsmith45@bellsouth.net> (RE: [Leica] Keepers)