Subject: RE: [Leica] 180/4 lens quality
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:04:12 -0500

Aram Langhans <araml@naches.wednet.edu> wrote:

> I have been vacillating between a 135/2.8 and a 180/? for awhile.  I like
> the compact size.  The 135 is very close to my 100, so most likely a 180
> would be better.

I agree.  If your 100 is the APO-Elmarit, the 135 will be moslty redundant.

> The other 180 flavors are quite a bit larger.  He said the 180/4 is
> a great performer.  I think I have heard that before, that it is an
> underrated lens.  Does anyone have experience with this lens?  Is it as
> good as the sales person says?  I am sure an APO is better, but the size
> is a factor.  I lived many years happily with a 200/4 for my Rollei SL-35,
> so the f-4 is not a problem, for me.  If it performs as well as the Zeiss
> 200/4, I'll be happy.

These photos of my late father-in-law were all made with the 180 Elmar-R at full aperture:

http://home.earthlink.net/~telyt/hans/aug2001.html

They're all quite sharp, and one was enlarged to poster size for his memorial.  Compared with the 180 f/3.4 APO-Telyt, the Elmar isn't quite as easy to focus, possibly because of the smaller aperture or possibly because it doesn't have apochromatic correction.  Of the photos of Hans, none were mis-focussed but because I didn't have the confidence with the focus as I do with the APO-Telyt, I took a second or so longer to focus.  OTOH, the APO-Telyt has cruddy bokeh while the Elmar's bokeh is much more pleasing, and the Elmar's minimum focus distance is much closer.

You can see my reviews of these lenses at:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/180r40.html

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/180A34.HTM

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento