Subject: RE: [Leica] David Bailey -- a dissenting voice
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:25:50 -0700

Now, I'm trying to remember who said this when I did a workshop in Maine
many years ago...

Of all who gave the talks - Joe McNally, Alex Webb, Mary Ellen Mark, Bill
Allard, Arnold Newman (and one or two I'm forgetting) - one of them (and I'm
darned if I can remember who) said that looking back over their careers thus
far, they felt lucky if they got 2 keepers in a year. (maybe a slightly
different definition of "keeper?).

And, if you look at most of the photographic "greats", if you will, over the
whole of their careers, their very best, most meaningful, most remembered,
most significant images probably only number somewhere from 20 - 30 at
most... (yes, even HCB  :-)  )

tim