Subject: Re: [Leica] David Bailey -- a dissenting voice
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:55:18 -0500

- --On Monday, March 18, 2002 3:00 PM -0800 Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>> On the other hand, I would be a happy amateur photographer if I could
>> achieve the same quality in my own pictures from my own, private
>> environment.<<<< The intriguing thing with Jim Marshall is that his work
>> looks so simple, achieved without a fortune worth of equipment or a
>> studio.
>>
>> Yes, I could do the same with my small bag of Leica gear, if I had a tad
>> more of talent.<<<<
>
> Hans-peter,
> The secret of the success isn't in the talent so much, but a huge amount
> of access! ;-)
> ted

And the story of how Jim Marshall got that access is in his excellent (and
I belive only) book -- "Not Fade Away". I got a copy and I still can't
believe the Rolling Stones were really ever *that* young even though I was
very much a part of the era. Selected images are on his website at:

http://www.marshallphoto.com

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com