Subject: RE: [Leica] Print film scanning D-Max?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:22:35 -0500

> Was it on the LUG that someone posted that negative films only need a
> scanner d-max of 2.8 or some such?

Hi Tim,

Yes, it twas I who posted that some such ;-)

> Also, if so, what was the rationale?

Do you mean what do I base my claim on?  20+ years of measuring film with a
densitometer...as well as over 10 years of scanning film...

Technically, it's not dMax that matters, but dRange...and often people say
dMax when they really mean dRange...or they simply reference dMax to a dMin
of 0, and therefore dMax and dRange are the same.

Austin