Subject: Re: [Leica] This sucks -- possible summicron problem
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:33:56 EST

Good morning Derek!

I was aware that this was a not-uncommon problem with some of the pre-ASPH 35
Summicrons; earlier examples of this lens did not have locking rings and this
fact permits the unscrewing of the entire lens cell from the focussing mount.

By wild coincidence, I had just posted my response to Oliver's inquiry about
the 35/3,5 Summaron citing Dick Gilcreast's article. I have just spoke with
Dick about your problem. He said it is almost certain that someone had
unscrewed the lens cell. It is possible that the lens cell (the optical
portion) has been put back in a focussing mount diffeent from the one with
which it was supplied by the factory. Dick suggests that to test if the lens
is functioning properly, you can take some photographs wide open of objects
at infinity and see if the centers of the resulting images are sharp. If so,
you should have no functional optical problem with this lens.

If the lens is functioning properly, as to the lens shade issue, he suggests
getting a 35/1,4 Summilux shade that is round and so won't foul or interfere
with the image, not to mention the effect on the psyche of the displaced
rectangular shade.

If the lens is not functioning properly, it really should go back to the
place from which it came for replacement or refund. Otherwise, it is possible
that Leica USA or Solms can fit the lens cell with a correct focussing mount.

Hope this has been helpful.

Seth            LaK 9   (incidentally, for those who have been wondering and
those who have read this morning's post on the 35/3,5 Summaron, LaK 9 is the
designation for the lanthanum crown glass that the Leitz glass laboratories
invented in the late 1940s or early 50s and that led to the breakthrough
design of the 50/2 DR Summicron, the first 35/2 and 90/2 Summicrons and a
bunch of contemporary Leitz lenses).

In a message dated 3/15/02 8:57:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, derek@zeanah.com
writes:

> OK, I'm back in the world of M cameras -- I traded some Nikon gear for an
M6
>  and a 35 pre-asph Summicron.  Everything seems to work great -- test pics
>  came back fine and everything, and I think I got some *great* shots last
>  night.
>
>  But tonight I put the 35 back on the camera (also have a 90 and 50) and
saw
>  this: http://derekzeanah.no-ip.org/summicron
>  (it's a DSL line limited to 20k uploads, but I tried to keep the images
>  small.  Yes they suck, no I don't care right now.)
>
>  Basically, the lens shade rests lop-sided on the lens normally; I can
twist
>  it back, but it looks like I'm unscrewing the front element of the lens
when

>  I do so, and having everything line up properly isn't finger tight (though
> it
>  might be tight enough not to notice for 2 days, as is going on here).
>
>  Please tell me this is something that's easy to correct.  In-house.
Tonight

Replies: Reply from Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> (Re: [Leica] This sucks -- possible summicron problem)