Subject: Re: [Leica] 135/3.4 APO Telyt vs 135/2.8 Elmarit
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:19:24 -0800

><Snip>
>
> ........you must read, Marc; B.D. said that if you like the 135mm focal
> length, it works much better with a reflex. I agree as do many others. I
> believe that most Leica photographers who use both RF and SLR will have the
> 135 for reflex use. In fact, even before I sold my 135's, I can't remember
> the last time I used one on an M camera. I came to use the 135/2,8 Elmarit-M
> with Leitz focussing mount and M-to-R  adapter, not real convenient, no
> automatic diaphragm but for me better than using it on an M.
>
><Snip>

Seth it's possible a way of looking at this is that when you sold that
135 lens it was a very nice optic but nothing to write home to Mom about.

whereas perhaps the new apo IS!

Older Leica M longer glass IS Leica glass. Would the 135 Elmarit be
designed by Minolta? Possibly.
But it's not the Leica glass then gets us all warm and fuzzy like for
the 50mm focal length, and 35 and 28 and 21, and now 24.

So combined with the smaller framelines its a reason to also be into
some SLR and then you even get that faster sync speed.
	And look though a telescope.

They are now getting them scaled down to size now so they are not such
clunkers. Like the old pre Asph 90 Summicron but the 75 1.4 remains a monster.

Me i love using the smaller frame lines sets. I think they are spunky
and i get the shot better with them.
	Don't need no telescopes

They are like a curser on a computer screen you mouse around on except
its not a monitor and a mouse.
It's the real world and your Leica.

Mathematically speaking you can focus MORE ACCURATELY STILL with
anything over 105 with a normal M6 and .72 finder.
Now we have .85 finders and 1.25 screw on things in the eyepiece so we
get not less but MORE ACCURATE FOCUSING OF A 135 WITH OUR LEICA M CAMERAS.

The 135 apo is the kind of quality that Leica is cranking out now.
The Numero uno par excellence optical quality in the world.
Schneider is stupendous.
Zeiss is up there in the cloud.
But nothing makes me feel  more warm and fuzzy than shooting with a
modern optic which says "Leica" on it.
I don't think anyone can touch that. Modern Leica optical quality.

A 180 Leica R i bet is great. I've not stretched there yet.
But 135 I'll sick with M even when i get more solidly entrenched in the
R system.
That's how I'm seeing it now.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA