Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/1.4 vs 75/1.4
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:28:38 -0500

The 75 is a huge mass of glass and barrel, one that I personally had
trouble focusing effectively at wide apertures with an M4-P (.72
vf).  Partially I think this is related to the comparatively long throw of
the focus--you rack that lens through the extremes of helical--partially to
the hair-thin DOF at 1.4. I'm not optimistic that this would be an easy
lens to manage effectively with a .58 vf.  I periodically regret selling
the lens, but then I reflect that I more often than not I didn't leave the
house with it.  The single major advantage that it has over the Nocitlux is
that one can employ it wide open and get stupendous "bokeh" without
perceptible vignetting, which the Noct. supplies in abundance at f 1, but
in my view the 50/1 is in every other respect a more versatile and
interesting lens.

What I can't quite understand is what you, as a Noct user, expect to gain
from the 50/1.4 or from the 75/1.4 that you don't otherwise in the most
important respects already possess.  Why not go completely crazy?  Get a CV
15/4.5.

Chandos