Subject: [Leica] (Long!) Enlarger Lens Results Comparison: Leica 40mm f2.8 Focotar and Schneider 40mm F2.8 APO
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:13:30 -0700

Here is my much delayed write-up of some comparative testing of the
above enlarger lenses which I did over a period of several weeks.Please
note: I am a hobbyist and not a lens testing guru like Erwin Puts so
take this for what it worth. It has been a long time since I attended a
University Lab and my testing is of course quite subjective. Hopefully I
have included in this process the most necessary/significant scientific
controls.

Regards,

Greg

Equipment Used

Leica R7, R8 camera. Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm f2.8 lens, Leica
Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm f2.8 lens, Leica Apo-Telyt 280mm f2.8 lens, Leica
Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180mm f2.8 lens, Leica Vario-Elmar 80-200 f4 lens,
and Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70 f4 lens. All of these lenses are the
latest version ROM lenses (except for the 280mm lens).

Leica M6 (.72) and M6TTL (.85) camera. Latest version Leica
APO-Summicron-M Asph 90mm f2 and Leica Summicron-M 50mm f2 lenses.

Leica SF-20 flash and Metz 40MZ3 flash on occasion, mostly used in
conjunction with the R8 and M6TTL.

Leica V35 Enlarger (2), one equipped with the Leica Vario-Contrast
Module. The second V35 equipped with Heiland's Splitgrade Controller in
place of the Leica Module.

Two Leica 40mm f2.8 Focotar lenses.

One Schneider 40mm f2.8 APO lens.

Peak Critical Grain Focuser.

6X Rodenstock Loupe.

Agfa Multicontrast Premium RC Paper No. 312.

Kodak Polycontrast II RC Papers (E, F, N).

Ilford Multigrade RC - Cooltone, Warmtone.

Kodak Dektol Developer, Water Stop Bath, Kodak Fixer.

Films used, primarily Fuji Acros 100, Kodak Tmax 100 Ilford Delta 100
and Delta 400. All films were developed in the same small commercial
Professional Lab by the same individual using D76.

Leica sourced B&W test negatives.

After exposure, all papers were subjected to two minutes in the
developer (mixed 1 part Developer, 2 parts Water), 30 seconds in the
stop bath, Fixed for 1.5 minutes, 10 minutes of rinsing then air-dried.
All enlargements were tray developed with liquid temperatures ranging
from 73 degrees to 76 degrees F.

Testing Conditions

All negatives were enlarged at least four times in the middle apertures
and twice in other apertures for each lens tested to fit paper sizes
from 5X7" to 16X20". Due to size constraints of my easel (maximum
setting 11X14"). 16X20 enlargements were mostly limited to print sizes
of 8X10 and some 11X14. This was accomplished by setting up the enlarger
for 16X20 enlargements and placing one or more smaller papers in the
center and/or the corners. Although all f-stops on all three lenses were
tested the majority of the testing was done within the range of f 4.0 to
f 11.

Autofocus Accuracy

The first question I wanted answered was regarding the accuracy of
autofocus of the V35 with the Schneider lens. This was of course was
quite easy: I adjusted the focus at the 8X10 enlargement size using the
Peak Critical Grain focuser, printed 8X10, 5X7, 11X14 and 16X20
developed and confirmed with both a visual inspection and a 6X loupe.
The result: Autofocus is not held perfectly using the Schneider lens.
Very slight focus adjustments are required especially if you are
shooting for a fine art print result. However, to qualify this further,
I always confirm the focus setting when using a Focotar lens as well.
The difference, Focotar 40mm f2.8 lenses used with the V35 required less
fine focusing.

5X7 Prints

Test results: I could not detect any noticeable qualitative difference
at any full stop from f2.8 to f16 between any of the three lenses.
Enlargements done at 5X7 are quite quick no matter the f-stop setting.
All prints from the same negative appeared exactly alike and could not
be differentiated by myself and others (mostly my two sharp eyed girls)
without making reference to the indicator markings I placed on the back.
One notable performance difference, the Schneider lens is at least
one-half to a full f-stop faster than the Focotar's and this was
consistently reflected in the exposure times.

8X10 Prints

Test results: No detectable difference from f4 to f16 in any of the
prints. At f2.8, two of us, on real high contrast prints could see a
very slight contrast difference in the very corners of the prints. No
visible apparent difference with low contrast negatives. The Schneider
lens is superior for this type of print at f2.8 at this enlargement
ratio. Both the Focotars and the Schneider lenses performed best at f11
and f8 at this enlargement ratio.

11X14 Prints

Test results: No significant detectable difference from f5.6 to f16 in
any of the prints. At f2.8 and f4, all three of us, could perceive a
very slight contrast difference in the very corners of the prints at f4
and a slight but more notable difference at f2.8. Again, no real
apparent visible difference with low contrast negatives. The Schneider
lens is superior for these low contrast negatives at the widest
apertures at this enlargement ratio. In my opinion, the Focotars
produced their best prints at f5.6, the Schneider at f8.

16X20 Prints (and Partial 16X20 Prints)

Test results: This is the enlargement ratio where some slight but real
differences become more apparent especially again with high contrast
negatives such as the Leica Test Negatives. The differences in both
contrast and resolution were quite apparent in the corners at the
extreme end of the f-stop scale. At f2.8, these differences extent from
the corners and along the four outer edges of the prints. At f4, and in
some prints at f5.6, the contrast differences are still apparent,
resolution less so. These differences diminish at f8 and more so at f11,
however, enlargements made with the Schneider lens can be picked out as
more contrasty and have better resolution. They appear snappier and not
as flat when compared side to side with Focotar prints of this size.
Once again, the Focotars produced their best print results at f5.6, the
Schneider at f8.

The Heiland Splitgrade Controller vs. the Leica Variable-Contrast Module

I have been using the Heiland Splitgrade Controller with my V35 since
July 2001 and a very significant majority of the prints made during this
test process were made using this unit. Why? Primarily for absolute
consistency it can't be beat, by using this unit I can very quickly
analyze a negative, dial in the paper and not have to manually reset my
times when I changed papers. Times recorded here could be used as a
starting point for test papers when I switched over to the V35 using the
VC module. In my opinion, the V35 is the best enlarger available for
printing from 35mm negatives; the addition of the Splitgrade unit simply
brings this technology a little more into the 21st century.

My Conclusions

If you already own, or are planning to purchase a V35, and need or want
to buy the best lens for it buy the Schneider. If your enlargements
frequently exceed 8X10 and you want the best fine art quality prints buy
the Schneider. If you more often print at 8X10 or less, either lens will
give you great results. You should purchase whichever lens fits your
budget or is available to you (used Focotars do come up at auction from
time to time). The Focotar lenses hold the autofocus setting better and
this should also be considered when choosing between these two lenses.