Subject: [Leica] Re: Mydans questions..
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:32:43 -0500

Luggers,
    In one of the Sunday digests, several of you have asked question about
Carl Mydans.....
    Sorry for taking so long to answer them, but Monday I was in Larchmont,
NY at the Memorial Service for Shelley Mydans.
    OK here goes.....
    1.- Carl never used Nikon rangefinder cameras. He started out as a
Contax person. As I write this, I'm looking at a photo hanging in my little
office of Carl during his Farm Security Administration days holding a Contax
I (I think) with the wind know in the front of the camera.
    He used Nikkor lenses during the Korea War, just as all the LIFE
photographers did. According to Carl in the mid 50s he converted to Leicas
(He said Contax wasn't keeping up) He did/does use some Canon lenses. In his
Leica case are two 50mm f/1.8 Canons , a 100mm f/3.5 Canon, and a 35mm f.1.5
Canon. He also had a 21mm f/3.4 Super-Angulon, a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, and a
35mm Summicron. Camera wise, there are two M4s and an M3. Interestingly
enough, he carries a spare take-up spool for his M3.
    2.-  Yes, Shelley is the mother of noted NY Times Correspondent Seth
Mydans. Currently on temporary assignment in Pakistan.
    3.- I checked Carl's book "Carl Mydans Photojournalist" and could not
find thephoto of the naked nose gunner. My GUESS is it is either a David
Douglas Duncan photo, from a military photographer and released for
publications.
    4.- Marc Small's Korean War assessment is basically correct. Most
newspapers and many magazine wanted only large format, especially for color.
The Time Inc. magazines (TIME, LIFE and FORTUNE) always accepted smaller
format. Of the original photographers listed on the masthead of the first
issues of LIFE there were three Leica shooters (Alfred Eisenstaedt, Peter
Stackpole, and Tom McAvoy and one large format shooter, Margaret
Bourke-White.
    In the very early days of the Time Inc. photo lab, some of the printers
wanted the photographers to shoot more 2 1/4 film. But, the photographers
were responsible for bring back the pictures, and ignored them.
    Lastly, I have often spoken with Carl about his experiences,
unfortunately, I do not think we will ever learn any more. His 95 years have
sadly caught up with him...
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA