Subject: Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer fromLeica
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:01:50 EST

People are missing the point here. John is not missing the point here.

Erwin has declared repeatedly that his evaluation of Leica cameras and
particularly of Leica lenses and his writing about them is entirely objective
and that he is independent and free from any influence from Leica.

Leica Camera AG has provided him with confidential information about negative
qualities of the new Leica M7, defects if you will, that Leica is in the
process of addressing. He writes an evaluation of the new Leica M7 THAT,
BECAUSE OF HIS REPUTATION, HE KNOWS WILL BE WIDELY READ AND RELIED UPON BY
LEICA PHOTOGRAPHERS AROUND THE WORLD, that omits any mention of the defect or
the solution to the problem, expected by Photokina this autumn.

I am a business lawyer. In the course of over 40 years of law practice, I
have prepared dozens of non-disclosure agreements for clients and have
reviewed dozens for clients who were about to be employed as senior
executives. They differ broadly from the "non-disclosure" agreements a
manufacturer imposes on photo or automobile magazines regarding reviews. The
latter simply state that we are telling you about this product and,
occasionally, giving advance copies of photos, in advance of the product's
release based upon your promise not to say or disclose anything UNTIL THE
RELEASE DATE.

That is very different from what has happened here. Here Erwin has been given
negative proprietary information about the product - the M7 - and told by
Leica NOT TO MENTION IT AT ALL.

Does anything better demonstrate the closeness of his relationship with Leica
Camera and the Company's influence over him as well as the reason the
objectivity of his evaluations, his tests and his writing have been
questioned.

Seth             LaK 9

n a message dated 3/11/02 1:16:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov> (Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer fromLeica)
Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer fromLeica)
Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer fromLeica)
Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com> (Re: Vs: Vs: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer fromLeica)