Subject: Re: [Leica] should interaction be restricted to shop talk?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:10:06 -0800

No, interaction should not be restricted to shop talk. We are happy to have a moderate amount of discussion unrelated to photography. But there are certain topics that history has shown to produce heat without light, generating endless unpleasantness.

There are many discussion forums in which the discussion of endless controversial topics is encouraged. I'd like to keep the focus of the LUG on photography with Leica cameras, especially rangefinders. That doesn't mean keeping all of the discussion on that topic, but through the years I've learned that if the topic drifts to certain areas, it will generate too many messages with too little value.

Specifically, I don't want national politics (past or current), elections, religion, or camera politics ("Leica is better than Nikon; nyahh nyahh!") discussed here.

I also do not want people to discuss or evaluate one another.

Replies: Reply from "Jeffery L. Smith" <jsmith45@bellsouth.net> (Re: [Leica] should interaction be restricted to shop talk?)