Subject: Re: [Leica] M portrait lens choices are confusing
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:46:58 -0500 (EST)

i've got all three lenses.

my 75 lux gets much more use; i enjoy its fingerprint very much,
i like the limited depth of field.  despite the apparent closeness
of focal length, it's a nice adjunct to the noctilux and images share
a similar look.  it's a pretty big lens, though, bigger than either 90.
the 1.4 aperture makes a big difference in my opinion, both in limited
light capability and in limiting depth of field.

as far as 90's go, in my opinion the gen III 90 cron (one just prior to AA)
is a very good lens, and capable of very sharp images.  the difference
between that lens and the AA is small in my eyes--much less than, say, the
difference between the original 35 lux and the ASPH version.  what i'm
saying is that leica improved an already excellent lens.  i think
you can get the gen III 90 lux for quite a bit less than $1000 making
it the bargain of the bunch.

in conclusion:

THE MOST DISTINCTIVE "LOOK": 75 Lux
THE BEST BARGAIN:            90 cron (gen III )
THE BEST PERFORMER:          90 cron AA

i hope this helps... but for some reason, i doubt it!

- -rei

p.s. www.bergencountycamera.com (my favorite store) has a couple of
     gen III crons for $895.  also check www.keh.com, www.tamarkin.com.

> From: Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com>
>
> It looks like my choices are the 75 Summilux, the 90 Summicron, and the 90
> APO Summicron.  I'm looking for the voice of experience to step in and offer
> guidance.
>
> I've used a 75 Summilux for a couple of rolls in the past and was blown away
> by the result on the light table, but they're painfully expensive and the
> focal length seems pretty close to the 50/2 I've already got.  It's probably
> the best low-light lens of the bunch though.
>
> The Summicron 90 APO gets raves from users, but people complain that it's too
> sharp for flattering portraiture.  I've never had the opportunity to use one.
> Is this an accurate assessment, and if so how does the immediately-prior 90
> stack up?
>
> For the most part this will be a general-purpose lens, but I do shoot the
> occasional wedding (2-5 per year), where low-light ability and resistance to
> flare are big plusses.  If you were choosing a 75/90 which of the available
> options would you lean toward?  Are there any ergonomic issues (how well it
> balances, is the built-in lens hood useless?) that I should be concerned with?
>
> Is there a great place that I should buy from?  Or does anyone know who would
> be willing to trade a user Leica lens for user Hasselblad gear?

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com

Replies: Reply from "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com> ([Leica] Re: M portrait lens choices are confusing)