Subject: Re: [Leica] M portrait lens choices are confusing
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:37:53 -0800 (PST)

- --- Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> wrote:
    <snip>
Now I need
> a replacement
> available-light portrait lens, and I'm looking for help.
>
> It looks like my choices are the 75 Summilux, the 90
> Summicron, and the 90
> APO Summicron.  I'm looking for the voice of experience
> to step in and offer
> guidance.  <snip>

> The Summicron 90 APO gets raves from users, but people
> complain that it's too
> sharp for flattering portraiture.  I've never had the
> opportunity to use one.
> Is this an accurate assessment, and if so how does the
> immediately-prior 90
> stack up?

    The older 90 mm f/2.0 would be a good choice.  It is
slightly soft on center ( By Leica standards ) when wide
open.  It then gets very sharp as you stop down.
    It also offers you a little "space" between yourself
and the subject, which can make some people more
comfortable.
    But you may still find the need for a soft focus
attachment on accasion.  After 20 years my in-laws have
still not forgiven me because the pictures showed the wrinkles.......