Subject: [Leica] Re: Taking precautions against fungus in tropical humidity
From: Howard Cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 10:38:32 +0800

 > Andrea Cucina wrote:
 > Hi to everybody,
 > I am going to move to and live in a very humid tropical environment, and
I am
 > pretty much concerned of the electronic components of the Leica (I have an
 > R7).
 > Hope you can help me in the search.
 > Regards
 > Andy
Andy,
I learned the hard way that keeping cameras unspoiled in tropical humidity
requires a "dry box" - these days usually a plastic sealed cupboard which
has a heater bar in it with a thermostat and a means to measure humidity. I
keep all my camera equipment in one of these (Eureka Auto Dry Box - made in
Japan) and when it gets full because I keep buying things - then I sell off
some things. I am now at the stage of thinking about getting another box -
as the present one is over flowing and I don't want to sell anything I
presently have. :-)
My learning-the-hard-way story follows. I was living in Singapore and went
home to Canada one summer for holidays. In Singapore the clothes closets
had heaters in them to keep mildew off the clothes. While we were away the
maid turned off the heaters (saving money for us) and when we came back
after a month all the leather goods in the closet were green with mold and
a nearly new 90mm tele elmarit (finally on topic!) stored on the top shelf
had its internal glass etched with fungus. Be sure to buy and use a dry box
where ever you go. That way your R7 will work just fine.
Cheers
Howard.

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Taking precautions against fungus in tropical humidity)