Subject: RE: [Leica] Airport Hand Check Refused; Film OK
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:35:35 -0500

At 07:38 PM 3/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Some lawyer may tell me I'm wrong here, but I believe the inspectors are
>breaking the law. They are certainly violating FAA regulations, which
>specifically give you the right to have film and photo equipment -in the
>U.S. - hand inspected.
>
>B. D.

What they told me is that everything has changed as of 9/11.  It is up to
the individual inspector to decide if they want to hand inspect - even in
the USA.  None of mine did on several trips through various airports in the
US, England, and Norway.  So I put the film in lead-lined bags and, when
they couldn't see through the bags, they hand-inspected and screened for
explosives and had me take my shoes off and did a pat-down
search.  Everyone was very polite, but very thorough and they didn't insist
that I put the film back through without the lead bags, which is what I was
afraid they might do.  Just be sure to get there several hours early!!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com