Subject: Re: [Leica] Bulk Scanning of 35mm
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:00:39 -0500

At 11:44 AM 3/7/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Having purchased a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED I have been searching round for
>views on how Photographers, wishing to transfer complete rolls of 35mm
>(using the roll adapter) deal with scanning
>
>Do they scan at 4,000dpi and reduce down for the web. Or do they scan
>once for the web, once for print and once for archive.
>
>The Former produces massive files (36 frames * 60-120Mb) and later seem
>very time consuming.
>
>I am sure this is a common problem what do others do?

Darrell -

I use the roll film adapter just for quick previews at low resolution to
decide which photos I want to mount in slide mounts and scan at 4000dpi for
my files.  Usually it's easier just to do that on the light table, but some
rolls shot in low light are easier to read if I scan them in quickly to
look at them.  It would be very rare to save every frame and a waste of
time to scan the throw-aways at 4000dpi.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com