Subject: [Leica] 400 B&W
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:57:01 -0800

><Snip>
>
> Curiously I'm in the throes of deciding on the b+w 400 film I want to
> standardize on. The chromogenics are very attractive for ease of processing
> (I don't have my own darkroom) and they have an extremely forgiving exposure
> latitude. But they seem to lack a bit of contrast and there is always the
> question about their archival quality.

Seth if you do direct comparison tests please include Neopan 400.
I'm interested in others results on this film I've switched to this year.

I've switched from the Old delta 400 to this both in Xtol 1:3 and I'm
under the impression that I'm doing well on it.
Part of the reason why is switched is because Ilford did. And
discontinued the 220.
Much of the lure of delta 400 for me for my Leica is i could also use
the same emulsion with my Hasselblad and Rolleiflex.
As much of my work demands 220 over 120 when i go medium format.

I did find the delta 400 much sharper than Tri X, which has lost it's
mystique for me and I'm pretty sure it's not the Tri x of old anyway.
While the Neopan 400 may also not be a tab grain film i believe Fuji is
more up to date on it's R and D for it than Kodak is for Tri x.

I use Neopan 1600 a lot especially i the winter and the Neopan ACROS 100
for my high res stuff in both formats
It made sense to go out and get a few bricks of the 400 and fill in the
gap speed wise and try it out...
Making me for the time being an All Fuji Neopan black and white shooter.
All three speeds: 100, 400 and 1600.
I find all speeds i Xtol 1:3 as advertized on the boxes.

Curiously when i shoot color i almost always go Kodak.
I know the smart money is on Fuji for color. Just not mine. What i have left.

By the way Fuji is now selling their films not boxed in cellophane and
it packs of ten...
but with no individual boxes and in a big box of twenty.
60 something bucks for 20 rolls over the counter at CameraWorld the 1600.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com