Subject: Re: [Leica] Should the nameless stay nameless
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:56:59 EST

henryting10@yahoo.com writes:

> Ahhh Seth, a horse-racing fan.
>  I always wanted to hang a tele-shot picture of a
>  colorful race blownup to poster size in my living
>  room.
>  Have you ever taken such pictures, especially
>  night-time racing ? If you have, what kind of film
>  would best suit the floodlights on a race-course.

Aha Henry:

I'm only a mildly enthusiastic race fan. And nighttime racing to me means
harness track. I believe almost all thoroughbred racing is daytime. That
said, no I have not done much race photography. If I were shooting at night,
it would almost certainly be b+w and since I'd be using tele lenses (ergo
slower) it would be a fast film, not less than 400.

Curiously I'm in the throes of deciding on the b+w 400 film I want to
standardize on. The chromogenics are very attractive for ease of processing
(I don't have my own darkroom) and they have an extremely forgiving exposure
latitude. But they seem to lack a bit of contrast and there is always the
question about their archival quality.

For color, I'm a hopeless information resource. I almost never use color
print film and none of the color reversal films (I use one of the Kodachromes
almost exclusively) has the speed.

Hope this has not been too unhelpful.

Seth    LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> ([Leica] 400 B&W)