Subject: Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:36:14 -0800

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>But when I use my wife's digital camera which of course has an extremely
>long lag compared to an M6, I definitely see the effect of this lag--turned
>heads,closed eyes, etc. In fact, I never attempt any "decisive moment" type
>shots with such cameras because the failure rate is so high. <<<<

Hi Nathan,
Obviously there must be a major difference between the Canon D1 digital
camera lagtime  and those used by mainstream amateur shooters, otherwise how
do the pros shooting sports capture the action they do?

I suppose I've been extremely lucky in the years of shooting pro and amateur
sports and not having any idea of "lagtime" influencing my re-action to the
action and capturing what I did.

My point is, quite often hearing about things like lagtime can be
influential in how an amateur may have successful, heck I suppose also a
pro, in their results if they take it as a serious part of everyday picture
taking. Sure it maybe there, but in the great scheme of picture taking it
doesn't make a difference.

Yep to some shooters it's a major consideration, but to the general
population, if they don't know about it they'll still come away with
excellent photographs.  But in some cases, knowing about it and thinking
they have to allow for it will probably screw up more pictures than not
worrying about it at all.

Sometimes over information isn't worth knowing. Not saying it's right, but I
just look at the realities of most folks who want to take nice happy snap
pictures without another gobbley-gook item to consider.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time)