Subject: Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:12:13 -0800

Photo Phreak, sir.
(Excuse me, is there any chance you might have a real name so we might
address you as a gentleman in the manner we do the rest of the family?)
thank you.

Photo Phreak wrote:
>>> Going through old posts,( cleaning house ?), I will make
> these obsevations on shutter lag.

> Taking pictures is much like hunting.  You have to learn to
> lead the target......
>
> It matters not what mechanical device ( camera ) you use,
> none are truly instantaneous.  Practice improves the work.
>
> The only time I REALLY had a problem with shutter lag was
> doing head and shoulders of a young woman wearing contact
> lenses.  Her eyes were closed in two of every three frames.
>
> Every camera has some "lag".  SLRs have more than RFs.  You
> learn to deal with the problem with practice.<<<<<<

Actually if you don't know anything at all about release lag you'll never
know whether or not it makes any difference, therefore you wont waste time
trying to outthink your human reaction time and have it get in the way of
capturing good action pictures. :-)

It works like this, "what you don't know wont hurt you." By the same token
knowing something, "shutter release lagtime" can hurt you because you'll
start thinking about that and probably miss more pictures because you're
trying to shoot before the action happens... ERGO... missing the peak
action.

Heck I never knew there was such a thing after 45 years as a professional
shooter until I began learning things like that on the LUG. And I damn near
screwed up a few shoots when I began thinking........."Now I better watch
for the lagtime and shoot & allow for etc etc etc etc.... more BS!"

Hell forget it and just shoot by your instinct and re-action, as thinking
about it takes up thought processing time, slowing down your ability to
instantly re-act to the moment without thinking.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time)